Thursday, March 22, 2012

a little communication goes a long way...

I remember that the acceptance email said "let us know if you have any questions"  and so I took them at their word and asked!   Here's how it went....

me:   "I am a little confused by the placement being so far from my host family and a long bus ride away so early in the morning. Will someone tell me how to do all that and also be back in time for Spanish lessons?"
  


them:  "Your project is from 8-12. The bus leaves at 12:15 and so you are back in town by 1:00 p.m. Your Spanish lessons are at 3 p.m. So, no problem."

I paused before writing back.  I don't want them to think I am some wussy American whiner.....but that wasn't exactly the answer I was looking for.   Try, try again...

me:     "So as I calculate it, I would need to catch the bus about 6:30 AM???? How will I know where to do that and then how to walk to the project? It would make more sense to me if I had Spanish lessons in the morning then went to the project."

them: "The bus is at 8 am. You will be there by 9 to start. They know the schedule of the buses. We will take you there on the first day and walk you through it all. 
The children take naps in the afternoon, so the morning is the only time they can take the volunteers."
 
See rule number 3 again....... Tico time prevails. 
 
I do feel a lot better about getting there the first day.  Just need to keep breathing and get into the Tico mindset.   Pura Vida!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment