Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Why not?

I was just sitting here one Sunday afternoon wondering if there were any volunteer opportunities to work in an orphanage in Costa Rica.  Don't ask me why I was thinking about  that:  I just do those things....  One good search yielded a number of potential organizations who arrange these kinds of things.  Most were very expensive and seemed to be more or less for much younger people.....  I am 62 years old now so I have certain challenges.....lol.

I did find one that appealed to me.  It was/is IFRE, a small organization that is a non profit humanitarian group in Dallas TX.  You can read about them at http://www.ifrevolunteers.org/   My brain's wheels stated spinning and so an idea for a new adventure was born.

First of all, I needed to make certain I could be away from my job for 4 weeks.  Once that was settled (thanks Laura!), my plans have started to be worked out.  I was accepted right away (can't imagine who would be denied....) and received my asignment info (more on that later).  Tonight I am just setting up this blog (by request from my daughter Debra) and will let you travel along with me as I prepare to go.  Six months seems like a long time but I know better.....

So this is my first installment of the 2012 adventure into Central America.  BTW, my Spanish is minimal at best.....  That will likely make for some very interesting moments.  But life is about learning and I am ready to tackle this new experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment