Saturday, September 8, 2012

Breakfast, busses and pencil sharpeners…

Yesterday started out with an unusual breakfast. Anita split a large roll (sort of puffy French loaf) and spread mashed pinto beans on it, sort of like peanut butter would be used. Then she added two ¼ inch blocks of the light queso cheese. This is a very substantial breakfast sandwich. It didn’t have much flavor but then again they do not seem to mind that here. My mother taught me to eat whatever you are served so I did….filling for sure. She then brought out a large, dark brown fruit. I have never seen this one before. She cut it in half and motioned for me to try it. It was a light yellowish and super sweet and had almond sized large dark brown beans inside. I wondered if my system would recognize this new entry. We always have coffee and I get water too. By now, she knows that is what I ask for daily so she just gives it to me. A more gracious hostess would be hard to find.
I wanted to check out the Friday market so I left a bit early for the bus. I walked past tables of wonderful smelling fruits, vegetables and flowers. A few tables had other items. I spotted some Guatemalan jewelry (just like some I already own!) and chatted briefly with the seller. She explained that the market leaves by noon. I wasn’t due back until after 1PM so I thought maybe I would see something at a market place in Palmares. No luck! They did not have their market that day. I will try next Friday…. Guido went out early that morning and brought back flowers for the house and some other items from the market. He was walking into the house about 6:30 am. These Ticos rise early!!!
I got to the bus in plenty of time. I found a seat where the window was already open. Oddly enough, oftentimes the windows on the bus will not open. Even though some of the busses appear to be equipped with a/c, it is definitely not in use. On the trip back to Atenas, I sat by a window that was clearly marked EMERGENCIA. It barely opened a crack but that is better than no air at all. I guess you are out of luck if you need that exit in any emergency… I also discovered it pays to notice who is driving the bus so you have some assurance of getting back on the correct bus. For the return trip, the driver was the same but the bus looked different. Alex had told me to always make sure you get on the right bus. She made that mistake and it makes for a funny story but a harrowing experience. Yesterday the bus was not a tall crowded in the morning but packed in the afternoon.
There is some kind of children’s festival that seems similar to our Fall festivals or Halloween. Children dress in costumes and there are games, treats and music for them. Apparently Spiderman and Superman are popular options. Girls chose princess or Cinderella outfits. Only two of the siblings at the hogarcito got to go. I don’t know why the others did not but the older girls, Anna and Maria were asking the Tia. She gave them an explanation and they had no choice but to accept her words.
Today I brought some colored pencils for the older girls and pencil sharpeners for the others. I bought a pack f six with clear covers from the dollar store. Fortunately I only saw six kids today. You would have thought this new item was a wonderful invention. I showed them how the top comes off to empty the shavings. They played with them for over 30 minutes. They sharpened crayons and colored pencils. Daniel, age 5, needed a little help to turn the crayons in the right direction. All were amazed. What a silly thing! It made their day and made my job much easier.
Two of the boys were waiting for their papa when I arrived. Children who are going out for something wait inside while the others go outside. I thought they had long since gone but when lunchtime came, they were still waiting. The Tia told me their papa never came or called. How sad for these boys. Parents can be so cruel without even knowing it. Paul, I thought about you when this happened.
After lunch is served it is time for me to go back to Atenas. I asked for a taxi and said my farewells. I will go back on Monday but no more. I realized that besides the actual travel times, the expense does not make sense to me. I will give them the $35 to $40 I am spending on busses and taxis so they can buy extras for the children. It’s not about me anyway…it is about doing something for them. Tina told me I could change to a local project teaching English or working with the pet shelter. I will find out on Monday how that goes.
One more thing about riding the bus: I learned that on curvy, narrow roads he who is biggest gets the right of way! Several times others had to take to the shoulders or back up to let us pass. In Candelaria, we always back up after loading passengers. These drivers are amazing. If you are squeamish, sit on the aisle seat!
I went directly to Kay’s for lunch. Karina met me there. We enjoyed the food and the conversation with the others. It is a relaxing place where we can speak and don’t have to be “on”. When YOU are the outsider, you begin to appreciate what others are feeling when they come to our country and find it to be totally baffling. I have experienced this before and know it is a humbling experience. True to form, the skies clouded over and the thundering began. I asked for a taxi so we could make it to Spanish class on time. Cost: about $1.50. PRICELESS!
My last Spanish class was last night yippee). It’s not that I don’t want to learn, but this environment is NOT conducive to learning much. Two intense hours of unstructured instruction exhausts me. (Karina agrees…) And the instructor seems nice but has little English and no real plan. She still gives us words we will never need to use. My stomach ad been queasy all day and I told her that. She seemed not o care. After an hour and a half of instruction, I had enough. I felt terrible and was tired and frustrated. I walked home and found it to be empty. I was actually glad because I needed to use the bathroom ASAP and preferred some privacy. You get my drift…..
I rested a bit and found my immodium….. Never travel without it! Then I took a shower, ate some dinner and fell asleep. BTW, dinner was really tasty. More like friend rice, my first taste of yucca (she made them into mashed potato like balls stuffed with cheese. , they lightly fried), and fried plantains. Anita and I had a good laugh as she did not want her dinner because she too felt queasy….lol. Pura vida!
Today, I got up really early to do my laundry. They do it first so it can dry before the rains come and the humidity rises. I was up at 6 AM!!! She showed me how their washing machines work and helped me get it done. She actually did most of it but I watched and helped as I could. We ate breakfast and now I am sitting out on the front porch doing this. Others are also busy with their chores and lots of activity. I am not sure if anyone is actually reading these posts but it helps to detail my trip anyway.

I did get a reply from Marlene and Caryn about visiting them. I found out I would need to take a bus to San Jose then transfer to another bus to Guapiles. It seems too complicated to me and I need to recover still. I am not so young anymore ya know! I did find out that Kay’s is celebrating her 7th anniversary and lots of activities may be going on over there. I will go later…. Maybe I can go shopping in town too. The family seems surprised that I have no other plans for the weekend. Remember, flexibility is the name of the game….see what unfolds…… Right now several members of the family are having some sort of discussion. I am happy to be sitting here….. Ah, family life!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Edna - enjoying your posts and photos - what a GREAT life experience!!! I will look forward to hearing more when your return. xoxoxo
    Carla

    ReplyDelete