Sunday, September 9, 2012

Rain, rain what else can happen?



Once the rain started yesterday, it got worse and worse. Lots of thundering and lightening. It made for a pleasant change and really cooled things off but the humidity is still extremely high. This morning it is 73 degrees and I am dripping… I pretty much stayed in my room yesterday and enjoyed reading a book, Broken Open by Elizabeth Lesser. I also “talked” to a few of you yesterday by Skype or messenger. That was a treat for me. 

In the evening I watched some tv with the family. A Mexican comedy movie was on. It was easy enough to follow the plot and they seemed to really enjoy it. Later Anita and I watched the news. Seems there have been more aftershocks, the latest about 2 PM. I felt nothing…..what gives with that? We also saw that a volcano in Nicaragua has erupted somewhat. I think she was saying “better in Nicaragua than in Costa Rica”. It is north of us. Next Sunday some of us are planning a trip to a volcano and park here called Poas. Sure hope Poas is silent! http://www.costaricabureau.com/nationalparks/poas.htm

Later Anita’s two daughters came in. One had a worried look on her face. I sensed that they needed to have a private conversation so I retreated to my room again. I really enjoy this time alone. As the rain continued, I decided to get some sleep. Did I tell you I am sleeping in the bottom bunk of a bunk bed? It actually works out well: I use the top bunk for storage! My room is about 8 x 10, cozy but functional. No problemo….

There were a lot of night noises last night: not jungle sounds but car sounds. I didn’t sleep very well so I slept in until after 8 AM. Usually on a weekend, it is forbidden to call me before 9 or 10 AM! Here, people are up and about so early. When I got up, the house was empty. I am sure Anita went to church.

I decided to see if Kay’s was open today (she is open 3 Sundays each month). I ran into Guido on the street walking back towards the house. I continued on only to find this was not one of those Sundays. I thought I remembered seeing a small bakery nearby. Voila! (See how that French keeps getting in the way of my Spanish?) Sure enough, there it was. And it was open too! I bought a loaf of sweet bread and some orange juice. I want to contribute something once in a while so this was my treat for them. I walked back home and had breakfast with Guido and Anita. It was muy gusto!

Guido likes to trade Spanish words for English words so we had a mini lesson. I also enjoy this. It helps so much more than the classes did. And I am starting to feel more relaxed as I reach into my brain for more Spanish phrases. It’s about 10:15 here now, a long day ahead. I have no plans…just to see what unfolds again….


Oh yes! The street in front of mi casa is only wide enough for one vehicle at a time. It is interesting to see how the Ticos manage that. Imagine having to back down a street and not know if somebody else is coming up behind you? Apparently there is a swimming pool at the end of the road so it is quite busy. Remarkable...

2 comments:

  1. That good ole Florida air conditioning is gonna feel real good....Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are having a lot of rain here too, more today than yesterday though. No earthquakes however, haha! Tell the family that I said "hola!!!" :) <3 --Debra

    ReplyDelete