Sunday, September 2, 2012

Fireworks in the park...

My first day/night is coming to a close and what a day it has been. We are making progress in communicating after Fanny brought out the English/Spanish dictionary. And my internet connection seems stronger tonight too.




I took a nice long nap (siesta?) and felt a lot better. They are so kind and keep offering me food. I know I don't look like I am starving...... I finally got all unpacke d and mostly know where things are. I am so happy to unpack all the things I am not bringing back home.

Pamela (paMEla), age 7, was happy to use her new crayons and coloring book. She is adorable. Actaully the whole family lives in the compund. There are multiple homes here and I am stying with Anita, the matriarch. We were able to talk a bit about the loss of our parents and our husbands.

Rolando is a sweet young man and he speaks pretty good English so he is translating for us. Anita invited me to go with her to the town square where a celebration has been going on all day for the 46th anniversary of the Costa Rican Red Cross. Lots of f air type games and food. I've never been so close to a fireworks show before. We were less than 50 feet from the launch tubes. And they were on the church grounds. It was quite and enjoyable display.

I've had my first cold shower. It felt pretty good after being so unladylike and sweaty! Tomorrow is a really busy day. So much to learn here and to see. For now, I need to sleep. Manyana is my first bus ride here, first day withhte chidren, exchanging money at the bank and first Spanish class.

Buenes noches all....... :)

1 comment:

  1. The fireworks sound fun, pretty neat day to arrive :) I am guessing that is Fanny and Anita is the picture? They both look so young! Emjoy the adventure and the opportunity to experience a new culture and make new friends. <3 Debra

    ReplyDelete