Friday, September 7, 2012

You’re in trouble now….


Yesterday Spanish class was at 4PM instead of 3PM. Apparently Anita forgot that I told her this (or perhaps I only thought she understood me). Lord knows I am not understanding much so it is no stretch to imagine that she does not understand me. The class ended at 6 instead of 5 and then Karina and I chatted with Tina, the Director for a while. Karina and I walked to the gelato place and had a fine time talking about our experience and our lives. It gets dark early here: it is daylight about 5 AM and by 7 PM it is getting dark. Of course we were not paying much attention to that anyway. By the time I noticed it was after 7:30 PM we parted ways. She went to an internet cafe and I started the five blocks to mi casa. I was almost home when I noticed her son, Guido, walking into town. I was a little surprised at that and said “hola Guido”. He immediately did an about face and began walking back to the house with me. He was carrying a flashlight and pointed to the streetlight to let me know sometimes the lights go out and I should carry one with me. I have a very small but powerful one but of course it was in my room. I assured him I would take it next time I might be out near dark.

Remember when you were a teenager and you got home late and your mother was waiting for you???? I got that same look from Anita. She is about 60 and I am 62 so it has been a long time since I have seen that look. Trust me, it still looks the same. I could see she was very concerned and it was then that I realized she must have sent Guido out to look for me. She pointed to her watch and said several words in Spanish I am just as happy I did not understand. I apologized and did my best to explain what had kept me. I did understand that she thought class was over at five instead of six. I’m wondering if she thought I was out with a guy….??? What a thought! I assured her it was only Karina and I. I tried to explain who Karina lives with but I didn’t do a very good job of that. A thought popped into my head: maybe she thought I had been drinking? All I had was one poquito gelato……. She let me know that it was too late for showering and I would have to wait. I lowered my head and expressed understanding. I moved to my bedroom and hoped I had not offended her. I glanced at my watch: 7:45 PM.

A few minutes later she came to my room (don’t all moms do this?) and told me she had turned the water back on and I could shower after all. I thanked her mucho times and gathered up my things. I actually can’t figure out why they turn the water off at night. Karina says it is the same in her casa. Anyway I turned the shower on and a tiny little steam flowed out. Better that than nothing! It didn’t feel quite as cold and I surely needed it. I retreated to my room only to have Anita come by again to see if I needed la commida (to eat). I have not really been hungry since I got here so I begged off. True to form, she insisted that I at least eat a banana. Moms are pretty much the same all over the world.

Once again, all was right with the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment